Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Benbecula, Dun Torcusay

Dun (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Benbecula, Dun Torcusay

Classification Dun (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 9973

Site Number NF75SE 5

NGR NF 7618 5313

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/9973

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish South Uist
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NF75SE 5 7618 5313.

(NF 7618 5313) Dun Torcusay, which has been robbed of stone to build houses 300 yards north-east at Nunton, is situated on an islet in Loch Torcusay, Benbecula. Only the foundations remain of an irregular oval building which is 40ft north-south and 32ft across internally. The ends of an entrance on the south overlap to face west. There is another entrance at the north-east, to the south of which is a possible chamber 17ft long north-south by 5 1/2ft wide.

RCAHMS 1928.

Dun Torcusay is a galleried dun. The entrance is 1.2m wide and is checked for a door. Immediately to the S of the entrance, is a large rectangular chamber; and further round the wall in the north and south are two other smaller chambers. The walls, which are constructed of roughly faced stones, are 1.1m high.

There is no trace of the overlapping entrance in the south mentioned by RCAHMS.

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (R D) 18 May 1965.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

NF75 4 DUN TORCUSAY

NF/7618 5313

This probable oval ground-galler-ied or transitional broch (or 'galleried dun') in Benbecula stands on an islet in Loch Torcusay and has been robbed of stones to build nearby houses [1]. The plan of the building seems to be an irregular oval and the wall stands 1.1m high in places but only the foundations remain. The entrance is visible on the east and its door-checks are visible. Immediately to the south of the passage is a large rectangular chamber with traces of two smaller chambers in other parts of the wall. In 1965 [1] no trace was seen of the “second entrance” in the south reported earlier [2].

Sources: 1. NMRS site no. NF 75 SE 5 (with plan): 2. RCAHMS 1928, 101, no. 347.

E W MacKie 2007

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions