Fountainhall, Allanshaugh House
House (Period Unassigned)
- Council Scottish Borders, The
- Parish Stow
- Former Region Borders
- Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
- Former County Midlothian
NT44NW 47 43239 49511
This two storey house is situated about 218m NE of the village of Fountainhall (NT44NW) on the S bank of the Gala Water. The house has the appearance of a lodge with a verandah, some half-timbering and second storey additions. The current OS digital maps show a large roofed with three smaller roofed buildings at this location.
Allan's Haugh is depicted as two roofed buildings on the 1st Edition of the OS 6-inch map (Edinburghshire, 1854, sheet23), described in the Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey as ' two thatched cottages on the property of George Thomson of Burnhouse (NT44NW)' (Name Book 1850). The current OS maps annotate the group as 'Allanshaugh'.
Visited by RCAHMS (DE, JM), 27 August 2009