Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Trondra, The Cutts

Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Site Name Trondra, The Cutts

Classification Chapel (Period Unassigned)(Possible)

Canmore ID 997

Site Number HU43NW 4

NGR HU 4025 3836

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/997

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Shetland Islands
  • Parish Tingwall
  • Former Region Shetland Islands Area
  • Former District Shetland
  • Former County Shetland

Archaeology Notes

HU43NW 4 4025 3836.

(Area: HU 403 383) During recent road-making operations at 'The Cutts,' the foundations of an ancient building were partly exposed, but it is not yet possible to determine the precise nature of the remains. The walls are well built with good vertical faces, and the joints are filled with either lime-mortar or clay. A deposit of rotten shells, mainly mussel and limpet, and a few bones have been found, intermixed with earth round the base of the structure.

The building has apparently been rectangular in out- line, but as so far only one angle has been uncovered - to the extent of four or five courses in length of 16' and a depth of 2'3" - the exact dimensions cannot at present be stated. From surface indications, however, it would seem that the major axis of the building lay E-W, and in this connection it is interesting to note that there is a tradition in the island that a chapel/ and burial-ground formerly existed near the site.

About twelve years ago two earthen urns, part of a non- rotary quern, and other relics were found near the struct- ure. The urns are said to have contained earth only and ...they fell to pieces shortly after exposure.

RCAHMS 1946, visited 1933.

HU 4025 3837. The remains of this building are as described by RCAHMS and little appears to have been done on the site since the Commissions visit in 1933. The exposed wall is 1.0m wide and 0.35m high. There is a strong opinion on the island that this is the site of a chapel.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 14th May 1968.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions