Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Bowland Station

Railway Station (19th Century)

Site Name Bowland Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) The Waverley Line; Bowland Bridge Station; Edinburgh To Hawick Branch Railway

Canmore ID 99628

Site Number NT44SE 33

NGR NT 45559 40147

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/99628

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Stow
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT44SE 43 45559 40147

The station building was situated on the up (SW) side (Edinburgh) of the trackbed. All that survives is the base of the rear wall and a brick built plinth.

On the S side of the B710 road between the overbridge for the railway (NT44SE 28.08) and Bowland Bridge (NT44SE 24) is a short length of what may be the original wooden boundary fence for the station.

The former goods yard retains one wooden building and kerb stones.

The Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey (ONB) describes 'Bowland Railway Station' as ' A very small wooden building erected by the North British Railway Company for the accommodation of passengers adjacent to Bowland Bridge (Name Book 1852).

Known originally as Bowland Bridge between 1848 and 1862, Bowland Station was opened along with the rest of the Edinburgh to Hawick Branch railway between 1848-1849 to serve a small group of houses at Bowland. It is depicted on the various dates/editions of the OS maps with two platforms and a small building on the down (Edinburgh) side of the line. A ramp for passengers led from the S side of the B710 public road up to the down side platform.

A small building is shown at this location on the current OS 1:2500 scale digital map.

The station was closed on 7th December 1953 and the railway closed in January 1969.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE), August 2006

Architecture Notes

NT44SE 33 45564 40185

NMRS REFERENCE

North British Railway, Edinburgh to Carlisle line. Station opened 04/08/1848, closed 07/12/1953.

Activities

Field Visit (April 2009 - February 2015)

The Borders Railway Project proposals are to reinstate the Newcraighall to Tweedbank section of the former Waverley Line. The reinstated railway line will be approximately 48km long and the majority of the route will use the existing railway embankment.

Several field surveys, archaeological evaluations and standing building surveys were undertaken by CFA Archaeology from April 2009 until February 2015.

CFA Archaeology

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions