Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Skye, Portree, Somerled Square, War Memorial

War Memorial (20th Century) (1922)

Site Name Skye, Portree, Somerled Square, War Memorial

Classification War Memorial (20th Century) (1922)

Canmore ID 99393

Site Number NG44SE 64

NGR NG 48213 43627

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/99393

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Portree
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Skye And Lochalsh
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Above the harbour, where the last surviving 19th century commercial ice house (later raised a storey as a warehouse) can still be seen built into a bank on Quay Brae, the later 19th century village spread out round the new focus of Somerled Square. This unpretentious civic space is now a carpark, with a war memorial of 1922 , overlooking which Matthews and Lawrie have left their stamp in a medley of styles: Courthouse, 1865, a simple pedimented classical villa with parapet urns; Clydesdale Bank, 1866, 'Georgian-survival' with heavily pedimented ground floor windows; and the Bank of Scotland, 1873, gabled and hoodmoulded gothic. The Portree Hotel has a three-storey corner block by Alexander Ross, 1875. Parish Church (originally Free Church), John Hay of Liverpool, 1850-4, hardly grander or larger than its predecessor (now a furnishings warehouse in Bank Street, dating from 1820), but prettier, with latticed gothic lights and cottagey porch. A painted, balustraded parapet gives the solid whinstone frontage of R. J. Macbeth's classical Masonic Hall, 1912 , a quirky charm. Of the other churches on this axis, the Free Presbyterian Church by John Mackenzie, 1895, has gothic hoodmoulds and octagonal flèche; Church of St. Columba, (Episcopal), Alexander Ross,1884, is a rectangular hall with gothic lancets, its saddleback tower removed in 1953. Inside, a window by E. Ingram dedicated to Flora Macdonald, 1896, depicts Esther delivering her countrymen. Linked Rectory, 1891.

Taken from "Western Seaboard: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Mary Miers, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Architecture Notes

NG44SE 64 Grid Ref.: NG48213 43627

Source: O/S Map 1:2500, 1966.

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions