Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Culachy House

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Culachy House

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Cullachy House

Canmore ID 99214

Site Number NH30NE 23

NGR NH 37670 06558

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/99214

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Boleskine And Abertarff
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

2002 Threatened Buildings Survey

The oldest part of the existing Culachy House was built in the late 18th century. This rectangular three bay house now forms the west wing of the present house. A new front or east wing was added c.1840-50 of four bays with hood moulded windows, crow stepped gables and an advanced porch. Six pepper pot corner turrets were added at this time of which one survives. In 1893 M K Angelo commissioned William Laidlaw Carruthers of Inverness to extend and alter the house. He added the drum towers and the loggia to the north end of the east wing and a block of bathrooms at the South West corner. New attic rooms were created and the interior was remodelled. RCAHMS holds the drawings for the 1893 work by Carruthers. Ian Lindsay carried out minor alterations in 1957, creating a pantry off the dining room and improving the water supply. RCAHMS also holds the drawings for this work.

Information from RCAHMS (STG), 2002

Architecture Notes

Architect: W L Carruthers - additions 1893

NH30NE 23.00 37670 06558 Culachy House

23.01 37660 06435 Culachy House, Gamekeeper's Cottage

23.02 37670 06415 Culachy House, Old Steading

23.03 37755 06905 Culachy House, Culachy Farm

23.04 37745 06885 Culachy House, Culachy Farm, Double Cottage

23.05 37313 07112 Culachy House, Shepherd's House

23.06 3760 0685 Culachy House, Proposed 4 Apartment House at Irish Bridge

23.07 37650 06973 Culachy House, 'Hall' 5 Apartment Cottage

23.08 37617 06859 Culachy House, Drive bridge over farm track

23.09 3769 0736 Culachy Estate, Entrance Gates

23.10 Cancelled - see NH30NE 23.08

At time of entry it has not been possible to identify the grieve's cottage, a window of which is depicted in collection item IGL W314/8. However, the cottage at NH 37650 06973 (Culachy House, 'Hall' 5 Apartment Cottage) might be considered. (AC 12 June 2002).

See also NH30NE 53 3541 0643 Coiltry

Activities

Photographic Survey (21 March 2002)

Culachy House was recorded by the Threatened Buildings Survey resulting from a notice to record from Historic Scotland, The record was made prior to proposed extensive alterations.

Information from RCAHMS (STG), 2002

Field Visit (22 November 2011)

NH 37117 05327 to NH 37762 06826 A walkover survey was carried out on 22 November 2011 along the route of a proposed new hydro-electric scheme at Culachy, near Fort Augustus. The only feature of archaeological significance was the remnants of an earlier hydro-electric scheme.

Archive and report: Highland HER and RCAHMS

Funder: Green Highland Renewables Ltd

John Lewis, Scotia Archaeology, 2012

(Source: DES)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions