Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tweedsmuir Parish Church, Sculptured Stone

Carved Stone (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Tweedsmuir Parish Church, Sculptured Stone

Classification Carved Stone (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Tweedsmuir Old Parish Church

Canmore ID 99063

Site Number NT12SW 2.01

NGR NT 1006 2453

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/99063

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Tweedsmuir
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT12SW 2.01 1006 2453

(NT 1005 2453) The first parish church of Tweedsmuir was built in 1648. It was replaced by the existing church in 1874. The earlier church was small and plain, no trace of it remains. A relic, either of it, or of a contemporary burial vault is to be seen in a carved stone slab leaning against the NW corner of the church. The slab, 2'11" x 2'7" is carved with a weathered shield and cartouche. The tombstones are all later than 1707, though there is the "Covenanter's Stone", erected in 1726 to John Hunter, killed in 1685.

RCAHMS 1967, visited 1958

The present church is still in use, and other than the carved stone slab, there is no trace of an earlier church.

Visited by OS (DWR), 21 September 1972.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions