Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Easter Quarff, Quarff Parish Church; War Memorial

Church (19th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Easter Quarff, Quarff Parish Church; War Memorial

Classification Church (19th Century), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Quarff War Memorial

Canmore ID 989

Site Number HU43NW 24

NGR HU 42847 35447

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/989

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Shetland Islands
  • Parish Lerwick
  • Former Region Shetland Islands Area
  • Former District Shetland
  • Former County Shetland

Site Management (19 January 1994)

4-bay T-plan symmetrical Parliamentary style church on site sloping to E. Harled walls with stugged and droved sandstone ashlar margins. Eaves course. 4-centred arched windows with modern timber tracery and glazing, and projecting, sloping cills.

Quarff was disjoined from Bressay and annexed to Lerwick Parish in 1891. This closely resembles one of the 42 standard T-plan Telford churches provided by an Act of Parliament of 1823 to meet deficiencies in the Highlands and Islands, but is in fact by Davidson and Macfarlane to Telford's design and as of additional interest as such. (Historic Scotland)

Activities

Publication Account (1997)

This is one of the least altered of the surviving Parliamentary churches in Scotland, apart from the bellcote which replaced the original in Victorian times. It conforms to the normal T-plan, the interior still has the original pulpit, and the windows have wooden astragals and rectangular panes. The accompanying manse is on the other side of the modern main road, and it is a typical of the single-storey design for Parliamentary manses (now in private ownership). Another such manse, completed at the same time, exists at Sandwick (HU 430241), where the existing church was enlarged in 1826.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: Shetland’, (1997).

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions