Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Innerleithen, Traquair Road, Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Innerleithen, Traquair Road, Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Innerleithen Station

Canmore ID 98725

Site Number NT33NW 65

NGR NT 33144 36314

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/98725

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Innerleithen
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT33NW 65 331 363

EXTERNAL REFERENCES

This intermediate station on the Galashiels-Peebles branch line of the (former) North British Rly was opened (by the Innerleithen and Galashiels Rly) on 10 October 1864. It closed to regular passenger traffic (with the line as a whole) on 5 February 1962.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 21 February 2000.

R V J Butt 1995.

(Location cited as NT 332 363). Innerleithen Station, opened 1864 by the North British Railway. 2-platform through station where the main building is 2-storey, 3 bay with a 1-storey wing, and projecting platform awning.

J R Hume 1976.

Architecture Notes

"Formerly NT0000 1532"

Informal for RCAHMS (R.C.)

Activities

Watching Brief (12 November 2012 - 13 November 2012)

NT 3315 3633 A watching brief was carried out, 12–13 November 2012, prior to a proposed residential development on land N and E of Station House. The site is immediately N of the former Innerleithen Railway Station, and the 1st Edition OS map of 1856 shows a rail line crossing the site. A linear cut, wall and black deposit of shale and coal recorded during the work probably related to the construction of the railway. It may be concluded that the work undertaken during the development of the railway will have removed any potentially archaeologically significant deposits.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended). Report: Scottish Borders Archaeologist

Funder: Tweed Homes

Alistair Robertson, Headland Archaeology Ltd, 2013

(Source: DES)

Sbc Note

Visibility: Standing structure or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

Sbc Note

This building was opened in 1864 by the North British Railway. It was formerly a 2-platform through station. The main building on the down platform is now a dwelling house.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions