Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Blar Na Cloiche, Loch Tollaidh

Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century)

Site Name Blar Na Cloiche, Loch Tollaidh

Classification Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) E4; Loch Tollie; Loch Ewe Defences

Canmore ID 98711

Site Number NG87NW 32

NGR NG 8480 7905

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/98711

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Gairloch
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NG87NW 32 8480 7905

An anti-aircraft battery with associated camp is depicted on the latest edition of the OS map (OS 1:10560, 1969), just to the NE of Loch Tollaidh.

Information from RCAHMS (DE) 22 April 1996

This heavy anti-aircraft battery is situated on the N side of the road at the NE end of Loch Tollaidh. All that remains of this battery are four mounds of earth where the gun emplacements were located with a further mound where the command post was. Immediately downslope are the tracks and hut bases that formed the accommodation camp for the crews. The battery was armed with 4 x 3.7-inch guns.

J Guy 2000; NMRS MS 810/10, Vol.1, 48

The four emplacements and the command post are now buried under what has been the local tip and are only visible as mounds of earth. The remains of the hutted camp can be seen as concrete hut bases on the slope between the gun-emplacements and the A832 road. The site is linked to the road by a curving track.

A track leads S from the public road to the N shore of Loch Tollaidh where one hut base is visible, possibly related to a water treatment plant. A sewage system was also noted on the date of visit.

The four gun-emplacements, command post and about 30 hut bases are visible on RAF vertical air photographs (CPE/Scot/UK183, 1294-1295, flown 8 October 1946). The gun-emplacements and command post are not depicted on the current OS digital 1:2500 scale map.

Records held in the Public Record Office show that this battery was unarmed by June 1942 (WO 166/11169).

Visited by RCAHMS (DE, SW), August 2000

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions