Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Inverness, Castle Wynd, Sheriff Court House

Court House (19th Century), Police Station (19th Century)

Site Name Inverness, Castle Wynd, Sheriff Court House

Classification Court House (19th Century), Police Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Castle Hill; County Buildings; Sheriff Court And Police Station

Canmore ID 98264

Site Number NH64NE 504

NGR NH 66647 45065

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/98264

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Inverness And Bona
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH64NE 504 66647 45065

Castle

(Court House) [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, September 2009.

Architecture Notes

NH64NE Grid Ref: NH 66647 45065

Source: O/S 1:1250 Map.

Castle Wynd, Castle Hill, Sheriff Court and Prison

Rearrangement of Jail Buildings as County Offices

Architects: Ross & Macbeth (I.C. Jan. 8, 1904)

REFERENCE, Scottish Record Office:

Meeting concerning a new courthouse and jail. Excerpts from minutes.

1812 GD46/17/58

REFERENCE, Scottish Record Office:

Need for a new courthouse and jail.

Excerpts from Minutes of a General Meeeting where plans were discussed.

1812 GD 46/17/59

REFERENCE, Scottish Record Office:

"The Castle" [The County Hall]

Letter from William Brodie to Tytler.

His letter concerns the preparations for laying the Foundation Stone with full Maxonic ceremony.

1834 GD 128/37/15

[*Architect: William Burn 1789-1870]

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Design (1833 - 1835)

Sheriff Court design by William Burn, 1833-1835.

Gifford 1992

Design (1846 - 1848)

District Court, designed as Inverness Jail, by Thomas Brown Jr. Built 1846-48 following demolition of the castle after the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745-46.

Gifford 1992

Photographic Survey (2003)

Photographed as part of the RCAHMS Area Photographic Survey.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions