Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tournaig Farm

Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century), Military Camp (20th Century)

Site Name Tournaig Farm

Classification Anti Aircraft Battery (20th Century), Military Camp (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) E3; Loch Ewe Defences

Canmore ID 98096

Site Number NG88SE 26

NGR NG 87527 83797

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/98096

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Gairloch
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NG88SE 26.00 87527 83797

NG88SE 26.01 c.NG 8751 8355 Radar site

An anti-aircraft battery which is depicted on the OS 1:10560 map (1969) 150m NW of Tournaig Farm.

Information from RCAHMS (DE) 16 April 1996

This heavy anti-aircraft battery is situated in a field between the B832 road and the shore some 200m NE of Tournaig farmsteading. All four gun-emplacements and the command post are extant. Examination of the brick and concrete gun emplacements reveals that all show evidence of having been modified to take another type of weapon. The battery was armed in World War II with 4 x 3.7-inch guns.

J Guy 2000; NMRS MS 810/10, Vol.1, 47, Vol.3, 26-7

The heavy anti-aircraft battery lies to the W of the A832 road N of Tournaig farmsteading. The four gun-emplacements and the command post are all extant. All four emplacements have a brick built platform within the ring of ready-use ammunition lockers. They are about 1m high and slope towards the entrance. In the top of one of the platforms are traces of four circular depressions, whilst the top of the other platforms show similar indentations.

The RAF vertical air photographs (CPE/Scot/UK182, 4334-4335, flown 8 October 1946) do not clearly show the platforms or what they may have been built for.

The accommodation camp was situated immediately S (c. NG 8756 8360) of Tournaig cottage. The hut bases and three huts still extant are visible on the air photographs. The radar ramp (c. NG 8751 8355) is also visible on the air photographs, in a field just to the N of the Allt Thuirnaig and it is not known whether anything survives of this structure.

Records held in the Public Record Office show that the battery was unarmed by June 1943 (WO 166/11169) and was provided with a GL Mk II radar set (WO 166/7309).

Visited by RCAHMS (DE, GS, SW, JG), August 2000

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions