Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

West Linton, General

Village (Period Unassigned)

Site Name West Linton, General

Classification Village (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 98046

Site Number NT15SW 55

NGR NT 1497 5181

NGR Description Centred NT 1497 5181

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Linton (Tweeddale)
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Tweeddale
  • Former County Peebles-shire

Archaeology Notes

NT15SW 55 Centred 1497 5181

West Linton village is described in the Object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey as 'A viilage of considerable size situated on the main road leading from Ednburgh to Biggar about 16 miles south of the former. The village is composed of one principal street running North and South with a few small lanes and alleys going to the right and left. The houses are very irregularly built their height ranging from one to two storeys and in several instances having their gables to the street, which would lead a person to suppose the village to be some antiquity. It is the second largest town in the County and has an Annual Fair or Market about the end of June for the sale of sheep. There is no trade or manufacture carried on in the village therefore the inhabitants for the gretare part are engagde in agricultural pursuits. There are two Inns or Public Houses in the village together with a few grocer and draper shops. It is the property of different individuals who hold their tenure by feu from the Patron or Principal, The Earl of Wemyss. There are three places for Divine worship in the village, the Eastablished United Presbyterian and Episcopal Church, together with four schools, so that children have every facility afforded them for education'

Name Book 1854

Architecture Notes



Housing blocks C, D, E, F for Peebles County Council:

Dick Peddie, McKay and Jamieson new scheme 1946

Bin 3 Bag 1


Sbc Note

This village has a sinuous main street and narrow side-lanes, with cottages that have been mostly modernised. The most distinctive building is the Raemartin Hotel.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

Sbc Note

Shown on Pont's Map as Lintoun.

Information from Scottish Borders Council


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions