Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Barra, Bay Hirivagh

Dun (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Barra, Bay Hirivagh

Classification Dun (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 9775

Site Number NF70SW 1

NGR NF 7113 0297

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/9775

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Barra
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NF70SW 1 7113 0297.

(NF 7113 0297) Dun (NR)

OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)

There is a very dilapidated dun on a rocky tidal islet, connected with the southern shore of Bay Hirivagh by a massive stone causeway, 35 yards long, which probably has been enlarged since the demolition of the fort began.

The dun is built on the north-western end of the rock, about four feet above high-water-mark. The outer face of the building has been removed and the structure now appears as a shapeless mound of stone and earth, about 10ft high, with a hollow on the summit. A few of the foundation stones on the south-east curve remain in position. The dun measures externally some 55ft from NW to SE, and about 35ft transversely.

RCAHMS 1928.

Young (A Young 1958) thought this site could not be related to Dun Scurrival or Dun Curier (ie. ? 4th - 7th century A.D.) although rebuilt, but was probably of a later date for, though a characteristic causeway connects it with the shore, Scott (Information from Sir Lindsay Scott to A Young), who examined this (and NF70SW 2) carefully, was of the

opinion that the existing remains at both sites were of rectangular buildings, one 30ft by 25ft, the other 25ft square, opening on to courtyards.

Tebbutt reports this structure as 10ft square, within walls 3ft thick.

A Young 1958; Information from C F Tebbutt, 1959.

No trace of a dun could be found at the published site - a small islet with a flat grassy top, measuring 14.0m N-S by 8.0m transversely and c.2.0m high. The islet is easily accesible at low tide by a series of rocks which protrude above water level. No trace of the 'massive stone causeway' was seen.

Visited by OS (R B) 15 May 1965.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions