Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Barra, Greian

Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Barra, Greian

Classification Head Dyke (Post Medieval), Township (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Garaluachrach, Allasdale

Canmore ID 9732

Site Number NF60SE 3

NGR NF 673 035

NGR Description centred on NF 673 035

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/9732

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Western Isles
  • Parish Barra
  • Former Region Western Isles Islands Area
  • Former District Western Isles
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NF60SE 3.00 centred on 673 035

NF60SE 3.01 NF 6760 0292 Farmstead; Shieling-huts

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 4 December 1997

A scattered area of depopulation extends along the narrow valley between NF 6630 0310 and NF 6734 0250. There are the remains of nineteen rectangular buildings with associated drystone enclosures. The buildings, most of which have rounded corners internally, vary in size from 18.5m, b 5.5m to 4.2m by 3.0m, with drystone walls up to 1.3m high. The walls of the largest building are 1.5m wide.

There is no name to embrace the whole area but the name 'Garaluachrach' (NF 6676 0284) still applies to the centre of the area (Information from A MacDonald, Allasdale).

The date of the evictions in the area is c.1832.

Revised at 1/2500

Visited by OS (W D J) 29 May 1965

Eleven roofed buildings, which include a church and a manse, two partially roofed buildings, thirty-five unroofed buildings, two of which are long buildings, several enclosures and a fragment of head-dyke are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Inverness-shire, Hebrides, Barra 1881, sheet lxii). Five unroofed buildings, an enclosure and some sheep pens are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1973).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 2 June 1997

NF 66 04 (centre) Field survey in four townships on Barra revealed a further 100 sites and monuments, including several clusters of blackhouses with byres, drying sheds, and enclosed garden plots. Five further prehistoric hut circles were identified, plus five medieval shielings which appear to overlie earlier sites. A stone ring, 23m diameter, with ten surviving stones in situ, was found overlooking Northbay, and a damaged and modified small chambered tomb, apparently of the Shetland heeled cairn variety, was also noted.

Sponsor: University of Sheffield.

K Branigan 1998

The footings of at least six buildings and adjacent enclosures have been recorded on oblique aerial photographs (RCAHMSAP 2005).

Information from RCHAMS (DCC) 22 December 2005

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions