Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kelso, Abbey Court, St Andrew's Episcopal Church

Church (19th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Kelso, Abbey Court, St Andrew's Episcopal Church

Classification Church (19th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Belmount Place: War Memorial Window And Plaques

Canmore ID 95830

Site Number NT73SW 127

NGR NT 72768 33737

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/95830

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Kelso
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Roxburgh
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Accessing Scotland's Past Project

Designed by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson in 1868, the Gothic Revival St Andrew's Episcopal Church lies to the west of the abbey ruins on the site of an earlier eighteenth-century church. A conical spire rises from a small round turret, supported by a pair of buttresses. An entrance porch was added at the southern end of the church in the 1890s.

Eight circular windows, set just below the roofline, create a light interior, enhanced by the plain plastered walls which are painted white. The furnishings within the church include a carved wooden reredos, a wooden screen behind the altar. At the eastern end of the church the ceiling has been stencilled and there are a number of fine stained glass windows which were added in the 1940s. The churchyard to the rear contains a number of memorials, some of which date from the time of the earlier eighteenth-century church.

Text prepared by RCAHMS as part of the Accessing Scotland's Past project

Archaeology Notes

NT73SW 127 72768 33737

St Andrews Church [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2010.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: Sir Robert Rowand Anderson - 1868

Activities

Watching Brief (30 July 2012)

GUARD Archaeology Ltd were commissioned by RG Licence Architect, acting on behalf of St Andrews Church, to undertake an archaeological watching brief during the exploratory excavation of a proposed extension to St Andrews Church in Kelso. This work revealed no features of archaeological interest with much of the excavated material comprising of topsoil deposit or made ground associated with the construction of a pathway. Several small fragments of human bone were located and likely relate to the earlier 1769 church which occupied the site prior to the construction of the present church in 1868.

Information from Oasis (guardarc1-131777) 17 June 2013

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions