Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Andrews, 12 - 16 North Street, Preservation Trust Museum

No Class (Event)

Site Name St Andrews, 12 - 16 North Street, Preservation Trust Museum

Classification No Class (Event)

Alternative Name(s) St Andrews Museum; Scott's House

Canmore ID 94413

Site Number NO51NW 110.01

NGR NO 5123 1674

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Andrews And St Leonards
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO51NW 110.01 5123 1674

NO 5124 1672 A test excavation 1m by 1m square was excavated prior to more extensive works in advance of building.

Below 30cm of garden soil was a layer of broken sandstone, possibly a demolition layer. Subsoil was reached at -0.95m.

Pottery of various dates, bottle and window glass, bone, stone slates and a piece of grey pantile were found.

Records and photographs with Fife Archaeological Index. FAI: 16/107. Sponsors: St Andrews Preservation Trust, Fife Archaeological Index.

E Proudfoot 1992.

From October to mid-December a preliminary excavation, only 4m by 3m in area, was carried out on behalf of the Trust at this important site in the oldest part of St Andrews, where an extension to the Trust's Museum is to be built.

The John Geddy map, 16th century, shows small buildings behind the frontage and traces of these were anticipated. Below more than a metre of black earth parts of several features, including a paved floor were uncovered, below that a double pit had been dug deep into the sadny subsoil, to 3m below the modern surface. Near to top of the pit a shallow bronze bowl was found. The purpose of the pit could not be ascertained, buit it had been filled with dirty ashy soil and sand among which were quantities of animal bones and pottery, some of it early, eg 13th-15th century in date. A bone tuning peg was found.

Fife Archaeological Index Record no. 16/107

Sponsors: St Andrews Preservation Trust, Historic Scotland, NE Fife District Council, Fife Regional Council, Dr M Anderson, St Andrews Heritage Services.

E Proudfoot 1993


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions