Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Andrews Cathedral, The Priory House

House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name St Andrews Cathedral, The Priory House

Classification House (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 94368

Site Number NO51NW 2.06

NGR NO 51369 16631

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/94368

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Andrews And St Leonards
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Architecture Notes

NO51NW 2.06 51369 16631

NMRS REFERENCE

The Priory House built in the Cathedral Grounds was demolished c. 1959-60.

Activities

Watching Brief (8 September 2008)

NO 5135 1662 A watching brief was maintained on 8 September 2008 during works in Vault 3 (the southernmost vault in the West Range, at the W side of the Cloister), to allow the insertion of a concrete floor. A ramp was also to be inserted at the door in the NE corner. The area to be reduced was less than 2m2 in the NE portion of the vault.

Large flat slabs could be seen against the N and S walls and in the SE and SW corners of the room, suggesting that the vault at one time had a flagged floor. There were no other finds or features of archaeological significance.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: Historic Scotland

Paul Fox (Kirkdale Archaeology), 2008

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions