Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkcaldy, St Brycedale Avenue, High School (Old)

School (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name Kirkcaldy, St Brycedale Avenue, High School (Old)

Classification School (Period Unassigned), War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Burgh School

Canmore ID 94282

Site Number NT29SE 154

NGR NT 27847 91755

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/94282

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Kirkcaldy And Dysart
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Kirkcaldy
  • Former County Fife

Architecture Notes

NT29SE 154 27847 91755

Architect:

James Gillespie

1895

Demolished. Fife College tower block now stands on part of the the site.

The 1st edition of the OS 25-inch map (Fifeshire, 1896, sheet) depicts and annotates the buildings as 'Technical College' and shows a location set back from St Brycedale Avenue and fronting on to Carlyle Road. By the date of the Revision edition of the 25-inch (1914), the group of huts and small buildings had been replaced by two main blocks and annotated 'High School'.

The Provisional Edition of 1938 retains the depiction of the two blocks, but shows the addition of the 1926 'Technical School' (NT29SE 453).

The modern tower block has been built on the part of the site, with the two earlier blocks being demolished.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), February 2008

Activities

Photographic Survey (1956)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1956.

Note (28 March 2014)

The war memorial was removed to the present Kirkcaldy High school (see NT29SE 530).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 28 March 2014.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions