Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Greenbank, Haywood

Farmstead (19-20th Century), Graffiti (20th Century), Hotel (19-20th Century)

Site Name Greenbank, Haywood

Classification Farmstead (19-20th Century), Graffiti (20th Century), Hotel (19-20th Century)

Canmore ID 94098

Site Number NS95SE 31.01

NGR NS 9744 5461

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/94098

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Carnwath
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS95SE 31.01 9744 5461

The ruins of this farmstead stand at the southern edge of Haywood village. It is shown on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Lanarkshire 1864, sheet xx) and described in the Name Book (ONB 1864) as 'a small farmsteading one storey in height, thatched and in bad repair'. Following the construction of the village it was used as an hotel and off-licence. The remains consist of a building 26.8m in length by 4.5m in breadth within mortared-rubble walls 0.6m in thickness which stand 2m high. It is divided into five compartments, each with a fireplace. At some point the roof has been raised and four outshots have been added to the main building. One of these, at the ENE end, is built of dressed stone and has a wide door which suggests it may have served as a cart shed; there is another at the WSW end and two against the rear wall. On a window sill to the W of the main entrance a rhyme has been carved lamenting the ruinous state of the village: 'OH ANNIE WERT THOU HERE TAE SEE A WAEFU WUMIN THOU WAD BE'.

(CSW 3508)

Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 20 July 1994

Site recorded during an archaeological desk-based assessment and field inspection undertaken in October 1996 to evaluate the proposed opencast coal mining.

NS 9744 5461 Haywood farmstead/hotel

A report has been prepared and a copy will be deposited in the National Monuments Record.

Sponsors: RPS Cairns Ltd

M Cressey 1996

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions