Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Haywood

Miners Row (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Haywood

Classification Miners Row (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 94035

Site Number NS95SE 29

NGR NS 9726 5489

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/94035

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Carnwath
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS95SE 29 9726 5489

There are slight traces of a row of cottages to the E of the ruins of Haywood Railway Station (NS95SE 27), on the S side of the course of the Wilsontown Branch Line. The building measures 70.8m E-W by 10.4m over robbed-out brick walls. Fourteen compartments each running the breadth of the building were identified, although the 2nd edition of the OS 25-inch map (Lanarkshire 1897, sheet xx.2) suggests that each compartment was subdivided into two rooms, and that there were sixteen pairs of rooms in all: as the map depicts a slightly longer building (about 76m) than is visible today it is possible that one end has been completely demolished. The row is shown roofed on the 2nd edition map, but by the time of the 1913 edition of the 6-inch sheet (Lanarkshire 1913, sheet xx) it had been demolished.

(CSW 3502)

Visited by RCAHMS (SDB) 18 July 1994

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions