Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Torryburn, Low Causeway, Craigflower House, Witches' Tower

Cellar (17th Century), Lairds House (17th Century)

Site Name Torryburn, Low Causeway, Craigflower House, Witches' Tower

Classification Cellar (17th Century), Lairds House (17th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Craigflower Estate; Craigflower House Policies

Canmore ID 93960

Site Number NT08NW 73

NGR NT 03010 85220

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/93960

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Torryburn
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT08NW 73 03010 85220

A modern house has now been built over the listed two barrel-vaulted intercommunicating cellars described by Historic Scotland as remains of a 17th century Laird's house.

Information from RCAHMS (AC), 30 March 2004.

Activities

Field Visit (30 March 1928)

Church, Craigflower Estate, Torryburn.

This ruin, situated on an eminence overlooking Torry Bay, about midway between Torryburn and Crombie Point, was the parish church of Crombie before the parishes of Crombie and Torry were united in the parish of Torryburn at some date prior to 1623 (1); it is now the burial place of the family of Colville of Ochiltree. Oblong on plan, it measures 46 feet in length and 14 ½ feet in breadth internally. The east gable, 2 feet 10 inches in thickness, rises to a height of 9 feet and contains the remains of triple lancet-windows which suggest a 13th century date. Beneath the southern light a small aumbry has been inserted. The west gable rises higher but is overgrown with ivy. The north wall, in which is the present entrance, has been rebuilt for its entire length, as a dike, on the old foundations. The south wall is partially rebuilt, and on its inner face can be seen two openings, now filled in, of which that slightly to the east of the middle has probably been a door.

ARMORIAL PANEL. - Inserted on the inside of the south wall of the church-near the east end, is a stone, probably part of a triangular pediment, bearing a shield parted per pale: dexter, a fess checky between two crosses moline, all within a bordure engrailed; sinister, a fess checky, in chief a mullet and the base undy, all within a bordure engrailed. Above the shield are the initials R.C. and M.L. for Robert Colville of Cleish and Margaret Lindsay of Dowhill.

TOMBSTONES.

(1) A slab, 6t feet long, 3 feet 1 inch wide and 6 inches thick, is now lying against the inside of the west gable. Round the margin is the inscription: HEI[R LYES] DOCT/OR [DAV]ID . PHILP . LAIRD . OF . KIPPO . / MEDICINER / WHO . DECSIT . (sic) . THE . 6 . OF . IANAVAR (sic), and in the upper part of the space thus enclosed the continuation, 1640 / AND . OF / HIS AGE / 71 ZEIR. In the middle are the initials D. /D.P. outside a shield, which bears an upturned hand holding in the palm a stemmed medicine-vessel, in chief three pills, all symbolical of the deceased's profession.

(2) A portion of a slab lies on the inner sill of the northmost light of the east window. It has a rebated margin, and on the face is cut in low relief the head of a cross, probably of I4thcenturydate. Within a circle, eight arms radiate from the centre and pass under a small ring to terminate in cinquefoiled ends, which touch a second and larger ring. The stone appears to have narrowed towards the foot.

(3) A large grave-stone, measuring 6 ½ feet long by 3 2/3 feet broad, broken at one corner and fractured at another, lies against the east gable inside the church. It is probably a 17th-century slab, but the date, with much of the Latin inscription with which it has been completely covered, is now illegible. The inscription appears to commemorate the excellencies of a Robert Colvin or Colville.

Stat. Acct., viii, p. 448.

RCAHMS 1933, visited 30 March 1928.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions