Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Dornoch, Castle Street, Sheriff Court House

Court House (19th Century), War Memorial (20th Century) (1923)

Site Name Dornoch, Castle Street, Sheriff Court House

Classification Court House (19th Century), War Memorial (20th Century) (1923)

Alternative Name(s) County Buildings; Seaforth Highlanders War Memorial

Canmore ID 93408

Site Number NH78NE 34

NGR NH 79747 89603

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/93408

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Dornoch
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NH78NE 34 79747 89603

For (predecessor) Tolbooth (NH 798 897), see NH78NE 26.

Activities

Photographic Survey (30 November 2015 - 1 December 2015)

A photographic survey of the building was carried out prior to a proposed conversion to form multiple uses including a deli/ cafe and spa-rooms.

Information from HES Survey and Recording (IF) 30/11/2015.

Note (30 November 2015)

Thomas Brown II architect, constructed 1849-50. Two storey sheriff court and county building with screen walls abutting the neighbouring former jail (also by Thomas Brown II) and Dornoch Castle. Brown had been appointed architect to the Prison Board of Scotland in 1837, designing a number of prisons and courthouses across Scotland including nearby Tain and Cromarty.

Ground floor East contains office spaces for the sheriff clerk, a strong room and secondary stair access to upper floor. West wing contains further offices (part in use as a service point by Highland Council) along with the holding room for the accused. Main stair provides access to 1st floor court room, along with a series of rooms for witnesses, the jury, agent and sheriff. Green space to the rear of the building is advised to have latterly been home to bee hives.

The sheriff court is understood to have been closed in 2013 by the Scottish Court Service with all business transferred to Tain. The building has been acquired by a private owner and is proposed (2015) for conversion to form multiple uses including a deli/ cafe and spa-rooms.

Visited by HES Survey and Recording (IF and ZB) 30/11/2015. Architect information drawn from the Dictionary of Scottish Architects.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions