Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Andrews, North Street, War Memorial

War Memorial (20th Century)

Site Name St Andrews, North Street, War Memorial

Classification War Memorial (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Burgh Memorial

Canmore ID 93130

Site Number NO51NW 206

NGR NO 51340 16732

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/93130

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Andrews And St Leonards
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NO51NW 206 51340 16732

For excavation reports etc see NO51NW 282

NO 5134 1673 Following earlier work in 1993 and in preparation for future restoration work, a second small sondage was dug below the steps of the War Memorial, St Andrews. The memorial sits on a sandstone base. On the W of this were the remains of a wall, partially truncated to make room for the above foundations. This damaged wall could be the foudations of the cathedral boundary wall, removed where the War Memorial steps were laid, or it could relate to an early house on the site, known from cartographic evidence.

Fife Archaeological Index 16/110.

Sponsor: St Andrews Heritage Services.

E Proudfoot 1995.

NO 5134 1673 The St Andrews War Memorial was demolished early in 1996, because of long-term damage caused by subsidence. As part of this and prior to rebuilding, a watching brief, from ground level, was carried out.

From 1.6m below the surface human bones were located, many retrieved only after disturbance by the contractor's machinery. At this stage it could be seen that several burials were at the base of a deep deposit of sterile back soil, while others were at a lower level in sticky brown soil.

Remains of 14 individuals were recovered, some disturbed previously, perhaps during construction of the War Memorial or at an earlier date. Slight traces of a building were identified.

A second phase of work was carried out jointly by St Andrews Heritage Services and Scottish Urban Aarchaeological Trust during June and July (see below).

Sponsors: St Andrews Heritage Services, NE Fife Council, Historic Scotland.

E Proudfoot 1996

Architecture Notes

NO51NW 206 51340 16732

ARCHITECT: Sir Robert Lorimer, 1922.

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions