Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Custom House Quay

Quay (19th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Custom House Quay

Classification Quay (19th Century)

Canmore ID 92836

Site Number NS56SE 153

NGR NS 5899 6474

NGR Description NS 5879 6485 to NS 5920 6463

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/92836

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Glasgow (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Activities

Desk Based Assessment (16 June 2017)

Custom House Quay was situated on the north bank of the River Clyde, between Portland Street Suspension Footbridge (NS56SE 83) to the NW and Victoria Bridge (NS56SE 24) to the SE. It was built (1852-7) for the Clyde Navigation Trust and is depicted on the OS 2nd edition map running some 270m along the river edge, with a goods shed at its NW end and a landing stage at its SE end, adjacent to Victoria Bridge (Lanarkshire 1896, Sheets 006.10 and 006.11). Mooring posts were located along the length of the stone-faced quay and it was served by a tramway which ran along Great Clyde Street. Today the area forms part of a landscaped and pedestrianised length of the Clyde waterfront.

Information from HES Survey and Recording (AMcC) 16 June 2017.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions