Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Ninians Chapel, Head Of Wick

Chapel (Medieval)

Site Name St Ninians Chapel, Head Of Wick

Classification Chapel (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Wic 160

Canmore ID 9219

Site Number ND35SE 8

NGR ND 383 508

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/9219

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Wick
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND35SE 8 383 508.

There was a pre-Reformation (Auld 1868) chapel dedicated to St Ninian at the 'Heat of Wick'. This site has been variously located at North Head, near the Service Bridge (Beaton 1909), and at Head of Wick above the inlet of Papigoe (Scott 1918).

D Beaton 1909; A Auld 1868; A B Scott 1918; A MacKay 1914.

St Ninian's Church stood at the North Head (ND 383 508).

J Horne 1895.

No further information regarding this chapel was obtained during field investigation.

Visited by OS (W D J) 21 April 1962.

Not located.

C E Batey 1981.

Activities

Project (1980 - 1982)

Field Visit (1981)

Not located.

C E Batey 1981.

Publication Account (1983)

There was a pre-Reformation chapel dedicated to St.Ninian, the site of which is uncertain, but has sometimes been located at the North Head.

Information from ‘Historic Wick: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1983).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions