Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Comrie Castle

Country House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Comrie Castle

Classification Country House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Blairhall

Canmore ID 92094

Site Number NT08NW 54

NGR NT 00233 89569

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/92094

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Culross
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT08NW 54 00233 89569

NT08NW 54.01 00379 89775 Comrie Castle Curling Pond

The castle is depicted as roofed on the 1st editon of the OS 6-inch map (Perthshire & Clackmannanshire, 1856, sheet cxxxiii) and the object Name Book of the Ordnance Survey (ONB) states that Comrie Castle is 'A mansion house with offices, parks, gardens, attached, the property of James Anderson Esq. Blairgowrie. The factor was a George Hallby Esq and Mr Well the occupier. (Name Book 1858).

The house was demolished in the early 1960s.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), April 2003

Activities

Watching Brief (24 October 2006 - 21 March 2007)

NT 002 895 A programme of archaeological monitoring took place between 24 October 2006-21 March 2007 during the groundbreaking works at the forthcoming residential development at Blairhall. Archaeological works were designed to mitigate the impact on the archaeological remains in the development area. During the monitoring of phase one and two of the works on the spine roads and SUDS, no features of archaeological significance were observed. All that was present on site was the remains of a 19th- to 20th-century curling pond (501).

Report deposited with Fife Council Archaeology Unit and archive with RCAHMS.

Funder: Lomond Homes Ltd.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions