Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kyleoag

Kiln Barn (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Kyleoag

Classification Kiln Barn (Period Unassigned), Township (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Coillenuadh

Canmore ID 91383

Site Number NH69SE 33

NGR NH 662 912

NGR Description centred on NH 662 912

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/91383

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Creich (Sutherland)
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Sutherland
  • Former County Sutherland

Archaeology Notes

NH69SE 33 centred on 662 912

A township, comprising two roofed buildings, eight unroofed buildings, four enclosures and some field walls, is depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879-81, cxi). Two roofed buildings, six unroofed buildings, four enclosures and some field walls are shown on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1971).

Information from RCAHMS (AKK) 22 November 1995.

This township was visited during the course of a forestry survey by Headland Archaeology (NMRS MS 899/25, no.3) and remains largely as depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Sutherland 1879-81, sheet cxi). The township is largely obscured by dense birch, bracken and tall heather. Buildings were noted in four areas. There are two isolated buildings; a single long building (at NH 6596 9135) has been cut through by a forestry track whilst a rectangular stone wall footing lies in dense birch woodland at NH 6606 9106. There is a group of five rectangular buildings on either side of a burn between NH 6634 91 9124 and NH 6645 9124. The two buildings on the W of the burn measure 7m by 3m and 19m by 4m respectively. There is an enclosure attached to the latter building. On the E of the burn, there are a further three buildings, measuring 9m by 4m, 14m by 4m and 19m by 4m with an adjacent enclosure. A possible kiln barn, measuring 9.5m by 4m with its bowl infilled with stones, lies between these buildings and the burn to the W, at NH 6640 9125. A fourth group of structures cluster around the edges of the chambered cairn (NH69SE 42) at NH 6652 9104. On the E of the cairn, there is a building measuring 18m by 4m with an enclosure on the N. To the S there is a further building measuring 8m by 4m with an enclosure on its E. To the W of the cairn, there are three small rectangular buildings dug into the cairn.

The field-system survives as substantial rubble-walls and there are circular enclosures attached to the boundaries in two places.

The township is named Kyleoag by Forbes (1820), Coilleoag by Burnett and Scott (1853) and Coillenuadh on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (1879).

S Carter and J Wordsworth (Headland Archaeology) 5 February 1997; NMRS MS 899/25, no.3

NH 66 90 (centre) A short-notice forestry survey was undertaken by Headland Archaeology Ltd over roughly 7.5km2 of land to the W of Spinningdale on the northern shore of the Dornoch Firth. A total of 28 features or groups of features of archaeological interest were recorded, 19 of which had previously been noted. The majority are post-medieval settlement sites (buildings, farmsteads and settlement sites) recorded first by the OS in 1874.

NH 662 911 Township. (NMRS NH69SE 33)

Sponsor: Historic Scotland

S Carter 1997

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions