Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

An Fhaighear Mhoir, Boom Defence Base

Scientific Research Establishment (20th Century)

Site Name An Fhaighear Mhoir, Boom Defence Base

Classification Scientific Research Establishment (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Firemore; Loch Ewe Defences

Canmore ID 91049

Site Number NG88NW 6

NGR NG 82150 88342

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/91049

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Gairloch
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NG88NW 6 82150 88342

Former Boom Depot for the Loch Ewe defences.

J Guy 2000; NMRS MS 810/10, Vol.1, 53

The disused postwar Government Research Station is situated in a small bay on the N coast of An Fhaighear Mhor. The present remains consist of several buildings and tanks within a fenced enclosure.

The site was formerly used as a Boom Defence depot, which is visible on RAF vertical air photographs (CPE/Scot/UK183, 1012-1013, flown 8 October 1946) was located in approximately the same position as the postwar Research Establishment. About twelve hut bases of varying sizes are visible on the air photographs.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE, GS, SW), August 2000

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions