Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gunn's Hillock, East Clyth

Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Site Name Gunn's Hillock, East Clyth

Classification Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Alternative Name(s) The Burnt Ha

Canmore ID 8938

Site Number ND33NW 2

NGR ND 3029 3904

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/8938

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Latheron
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND33NW 2 3029 3904

(ND 3029 3904) Broch (NR) (site of)

OS 6" map, (1971)

The remains of a broch known as "Gunn's Hillock" or "The Burnt Ha!", now represented by a mound. Since it has to some extent been broken into and cottages have been erected on top of it, there are no measureable details. A vessel of rough sandstone 9 1/2 ins long by 6 1/4 ins broad by 4 3/4 ins deep, with an oval cavity 5 5/8 ins long by 4 1/4 ins broad and 3 3/8 ins deep, flat at the bottom, from this site was donated to the National Musuem of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS) by A O Curle in 1911 (Accession no: GA 957).

Proc Soc Antiq Scot 1911; RCAHMS 1911.

An amorphous grassy mound, heavily mutilated by later building, as described by the RCAHMS. The only evidence to suggest a broch is its size and topographic position. No name is known locally.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (N K B), 10 May 1967.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

ND33 3 GUNN'S HILLOCK 2 ('The Burnt Ha' ')

ND/3029 3904

Possible broch in Latheron, Caithness, consisting of an amorphous, grassy mound heavily mutilated by the later building of cottages. A rough sandstone vessel was found at the site and donated to the National Museum (GA 957) [2].

Sources: 1. NMRS site no. ND 33 NW 2: 2. Proc Soc Antiq Scot 45 (1910-11), 220 (donations): 3. RCAHMS 1911b, 52, no. 194.

E W MacKie 2007

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions