Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stirling - Tyndrum - Fort William Military Road

Military Road (18th Century)

Site Name Stirling - Tyndrum - Fort William Military Road

Classification Military Road (18th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Clifton

Canmore ID 89063

Site Number NN33SW 3

NGR NN 3313 3200

NGR Description NN 3325 3000 to NN 3254 3499

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/89063

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Killin
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN33SW 3 3325 3000 to 3254 3499 (MR 8).

NN 3325 3000 to NN 3295 3104 modern road on course of military road.

NN 3295 3104 to NN 3313 3190 modern road, now generally disused, on course of military road.

NN 3310 3175 to NN 3310 3179 reduced to footpath width by modern embankment

NN 3312 3188 modern bridge (NN33SW 4).

NN 3315 3189 modern bridge (NN33SW 5).

NN 3313 3190 to NN 3285 3319 terraced, modern, metalled road now generally in disuse, on course of military road.

NN 3277 3355 milestone 10 (NN33SW 6).

Visited by OS August 1969.

The military road heading N from Tyndrum towards the Bridge of Orchy is on virtually the same line as the old Glencoe road. It bears sharp N by the shop at Clifton and ascends the hill, from whose summit it continues to run alongside the railway, to the E of the new road.

The bridges, although old, were built much later than the period of military construction.

W Taylor 1976.

Central/Strathclyde Regional Boundary (NN 3292 3306) to Auch (NN 3270 3575). This section of Major William Caulfield's [Caulfeild] [Caulfeild] Military Way runs along the Braes of Auch and has undergone constant improvement since its construction by troops drawn from Rich's Regiment and the Buffs between 1750 and 1752. It remained under the control and maintenance of the military for the next 50 years, being superceded at the beginning of the 19th century by the parliamentary road which followed the same route until its abandonment in the 1930's with the construction of the modern A82. During its period of use as the parliamentary road it was maintained by local gangs of workmen on a regular basis. The surveying and recording of this section of road (which is currently utilised by the West Highland Way) was undertaken between February and March of 1994. The full details of the survey, which recorded in full the nature of the road and the associated features within a 20m corridor centred on the road has been brought together in a full report which has been deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsors: Strathclyde Regional Council, Highland Regional Council & Scottish Natural Heritage.

J A Atkinson 1994c; NMRS, MS/725/68.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions