Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, South Gyle Crescent, South Gyle Industrial Estate

Industrial Estate (Modern)

Site Name Edinburgh, South Gyle Crescent, South Gyle Industrial Estate

Classification Industrial Estate (Modern)

Alternative Name(s) Clocktower Estate

Canmore ID 88321

Site Number NT17SE 84

NGR NT 1870 7170

NGR Description NT 1757 7236 to NT 1936 7147

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/88321

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT17SE 84 1757 7236 to 1936 7147

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (19 February 2004)

Sculpture, set in a rock garden between the dual carriageway and two office byildings, composed of eleven straight steel columns in a straight line which form an inverted V at the top. Twinkling at night, fibre-optic lights oscillate between white and blue, with each point of light reflecting off the opposite column.

Commissioned by The EDI Group Ltd, Constellation was designed by Marta McGlynn Associates, Ove Arup & Partners (Scotland) were the structural and electrical engineers, and the contractor was N. G. Bailey & Co. Ltd. The design and construction period was from December 2001 to June 2002.

Constellation was designed to complement the office buildings 'Sirius' and 'Veda'.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 2001-2002

Year of unveiling : 2003

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1493)

Field Visit (19 February 2004)

Shell of fighter aircraft sits on a concrete base, on a grassy rise overlooking the roundabout.

This aircraft was built for the Saudis and first flown in 1968. Retired in 1985 at Tabuk, she was brought back to Britain in 1986 by BAe as part of the Tornado deal. In 1990 the aircraft was presented by BAe to Ferranti in Edinburgh. In 2005 the Ferranti site was closed and demolished, and the aircraft was donated to the Dumfries and Galloway Aviation Museum.

Inscriptions : On plaque on base:

This Lightning, presented by British Aerospace to / GEC Ferranti, symbolises the teamwork and / engineering skills which provided the world's / first monopulse radar for the Royal Air Force's / first supersonic fighter. / Plaque unveiled by Mr R H Evans, Chief Executive, / British Aerospace plc / 15th June 1990

On tail and under each wing (black letters and numbers): ZF584

Signatures : None

Year of unveiling : 1990

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1515)

Field Visit (31 March 2009)

On each building, a simple matt steel gnomon protrudes from the glass façade, with lines, circles, numbers and symbols marked in colours on the glass.

Inscriptions : On Vega building: sheliak [and symbols]

On Sirius building: Wesen / Adhara [and symbols] / X XI XII I

Signatures : None Visible

Design period : 2003

Year of unveiling : 2003

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1514)

Field Visit (31 March 2009)

On the west side of the courtyard, a pigeon faces towards the building but looks to its right, over at the seagull.

A male pigeon with its tail spread, faces towards the road, between buildings, but looks to its left. This bird is the shortest of the three, and is very fat.

A seagull stands on a medium-height pedestal, looking straight out towards the hills.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN1543)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions