Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Aberdalgie Parish Church And Churchyard

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Aberdalgie Parish Church And Churchyard

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Aberdalgie And Dupplin Parish Church; Forteviot Burial-enclosure; Kinnoull Burial Aisle

Canmore ID 88214

Site Number NO02SE 88

NGR NO 07944 20257

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/88214

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Aberdalgie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO02SE 88.00 07944 20257

NO02SE 88.01 NO 0800 2030 Oliphant's Monument

For Dupplin Castle (NO 0565 1947) and related buildings and monuments, see NO01NE 22.00.

For Dupplin, Old Parish Church and Graveyard (NO 0642 1943), see NO01NE 23. For Aberdalgie, Old Parish Church (NO 0799 2031), see NO02SE 12. For Aberdalgie manse (NO 0788 2031), see NO02SE 89.

Church [NAT]

OS 1:10000 map, 1985.

Aberdalgie church was built in 1773. It has a pleasant Georgian character, although it was over-renovated in 1929.

G Hay 1957.

1. Aberdalgie Parish Church. Dated 1773. Originally T-plan with two large centre round-arched windows flanked by doors with circular windows over, tripartite lunette with Venetian over in each gable. Completely remodelled internally by Sir RS Lorimer and Matthew, 1929; wood ceiling, ionic pilastered Forteviot loft (but retaining gothic pulpit, memorial of Rev John Sharp + 1887), new SW porch (SE doorway built up) and bellcote. Gothic arched recess containing extremely fone relief slab (much damaged) to Sir Wm. Oliphant + 1329. (For which, see NO02SE 88.01).

2. Aberdalgie Churchyard and War Memorial. Some 18th century gravestones and site of former church. War Memorial fresstone celtic cross at gate.

SDD List, May 1967.

This church remains in ecclesiastical use as Aberdalgie and Dupplin parish church; it is built on the T-plan and bears a datestone of 1773 on the N wing. The Forteviot burial-enclosure is situated in the NE re-entrant and a medieval grave-slab from the predecessor building (NO02SE 12) can be seen within the church.

Visited by RCAHMS (RJCM, JRS), 20 November 1995

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions