Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Findo Gask Airfield, Control Tower

Control Tower (20th Century)

Site Name Findo Gask Airfield, Control Tower

Classification Control Tower (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Innergask; Dalreoch Bridge; Clathymore

Canmore ID 87773

Site Number NO02SW 31.03

NGR NO 01128 21402

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map


Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Findo Gask
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO02SW 31.03 01128 21402

(NO 0113 2140) A brick and concrete three storey control tower, late war type, similar to one built at Heathrow Airport, London.

J Guy 2000; NMRS MS 810/9, 20

The control tower and part of the airfield is visible on RAF WW II vertical air photographs (NLA 71, 3058-3059, flown 9 September 1943).

Information from RCAHMS (DE), September 2005


Field Visit (December 2003 - February 2004)

A survey of Findo Gask Airfield undertaken by the Scottish Urban Archaeology Trust (SUAT) in adavance of residential development.

The site lies on high, fairly level ground on the Gask Ridge about 10km W of Perth.

The survey recorded a total of 66 features including extensive derelict buildings, including a T2 aircraft hangar, three-storey control tower (Royal Navy design), several blast shelters, huts, pyrotechnics store, radio hut, hard standings and the perimeter track. Buildings were constructed of steel, colliery produced bricks from various Fife sources, and in cellular concrete, a wartime austerity material. Some buildings had metal window frames inserted using metric specifications. The airfield was provided with three bi-directional grass runways.

The airfield was commissioned in 1941 and was originally intended as a Satellite Landing Ground (SLG) to Edzell (NO66NW 75.00), to provide storage areas for surplus aircraft and alternative landing facilites for other stations. The airfield was provided with a Battle Headquarters situated to the W. In 1944 all training functions moved to Tealing Airfield (NO43NW 51), and the site was utilised for a period by the Polish Army and thereafter by a Maintenance Unit for storage until 1948.

Scottish Urban Archaeological Trust MS 1752, March 2004

NO 0116 2129 A survey of the derelict airfield (NO02SW 31.00) between December 2003 and February 2004 recorded extensive WW2 buildings, including a large T2 hangar, an unusual three-storey control tower modified while under construction, blast shelters, various huts, a pyrotechnics store, an electrical sub-station, a radio broadcasting house, various hard standings, and the perimeter track. Buildings were constructed in steel, colliery bricks from various Fife sources, and in cellular concrete, a wartime austerity material. Some buildings used metal windows to metric specifications. The station was used by various training, operational and maintenance units, and by Polish forces.

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: A & J Stephen (Builders) Ltd.

D P Bowler 2004


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions