Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Findo Gask Airfield

Airfield (20th Century)

Site Name Findo Gask Airfield

Classification Airfield (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Clathymore; Innergask; Dalreoch Bridge

Canmore ID 87770

Site Number NO02SW 31

NGR NO 0066 2160

NGR Description Centred NO 0066 2160

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/87770

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Findo Gask
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO02SW 31.00 centred 0066 2160

NO02SW 31.01 centred NO 0180 2053, NO 0155 2025 and NO 0190 2094 Military Camp

NO02SW 31.02 NO 0115 2136 Hangar

NO02SW 31.03 NO 0113 2140 Control Tower

NO02SW 31.04 NO 0055 2099 to NN 9991 2091 Dispersal Bays

For related building at NO 0211 2043, see NO02SW 6.

For possibly-associated pumping station (NO 0265 1987), see NO01NW 132.

This airfield has retained a large three-storey late war control tower. One hangar also survives.

D J Smith 1983.

The World War II airfield at Findo Gask is visible on contemporary RAF vertcial air photographs (NLA 71, 3055-3063, 4057-4065, flown 9 September 1943), which shows almost all of the military area.

Visible on the photographs are the runways, hangars, both T2 and blister type, technical area, dispersal areas and the accommodation camp situated to the S in Mayfield Wood.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), September 2005

A copy of the Findo Gask Airfield and dispersed sites Record Site Plan drawn at a scale of 1:2500 (Drwg No. 3375/46), dated July 1946 is included with the J Guy Report (MS 810/9). The numbered plan numbers all buildings and a schedule of these is included at the margin.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), January 2008

Activities

Field Visit (December 2003 - February 2004)

A survey of Findo Gask Airfield undertaken by the Scottish Urban Archaeology Trust (SUAT) in adavance of residential development.

The site lies on high, fairly level ground on the Gask Ridge about 10km W of Perth.

The survey recorded a total of 66 features including extensive derelict buildings, including a T2 aircraft hangar, three-storey control tower (Royal Navy design), several blast shelters, huts, pyrotechnics store, radio hut, hard standings and the perimeter track. Buildings were constructed of steel, colliery produced bricks from various Fife sources, and in cellular concrete, a wartime austerity material. Some buildings had metal window frames inserted using metric specifications. The airfield was provided with three bi-directional grass runways.

The airfield was commissioned in 1941 and was originally intended as a Satellite Landing Ground (SLG) to Edzell (NO66NW 75.00), to provide storage areas for surplus aircraft and alternative landing facilites for other stations. The airfield was provided with a Battle Headquarters situated to the W. In 1944 all training functions moved to Tealing Airfield (NO43NW 51), and the site was utilised for a period by the Polish Army and thereafter by a Maintenance Unit for storage until 1948.

Scottish Urban Archaeological Trust MS 1752, March 2004

NO 0116 2129 A survey of the derelict airfield (NO02SW 31.00) between December 2003 and February 2004 recorded extensive WW2 buildings, including a large T2 hangar, an unusual three-storey control tower modified while under construction, blast shelters, various huts, a pyrotechnics store, an electrical sub-station, a radio broadcasting house, various hard standings, and the perimeter track. Buildings were constructed in steel, colliery bricks from various Fife sources, and in cellular concrete, a wartime austerity material. Some buildings used metal windows to metric specifications. The station was used by various training, operational and maintenance units, and by Polish forces.

Archive to be deposited in the NMRS.

Sponsor: A & J Stephen (Builders) Ltd.

D P Bowler 2004

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions