Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Pitlochry Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Pitlochry Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Pitlochry, Station Road, Railway Station

Canmore ID 87618

Site Number NN95NW 40

NGR NN 93824 58103

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/87618

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Moulin
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN95NW 40.00 93824 58103

NN95NW 40.01 NN 9372 5820 Station House

NN95NW 40.02 NN 9380 5809 Footbridge

NN95NW 40.03 NN 9371 5812 Signal Box

NN95NW 40.04 NN 9371 5816 Goods Shed

NN95NW 40.05 NN 9373 5818 Weighbridge

NN95NW 40.06 NN 9371 5816 Coal Merchant's Office

NN95NW 40.07 NN 9372 5813 Office

(Location cited as NN 938 581). Pitlochry Station, opened 1863 by the Inverness and Perth Junction Rly, and rebuilt c. 1890. A two-platform through station with the main building on the up platform; this is a single-storey structure on an H plan, with wings at each end. There is an awning between the arms of the H on the platform side. The gables are crow-stepped and there are Tudor chimneys. The down-platform shelter is an elaborate wooden construction, similar to that at Nairn (NH85NE 48). Other features include a wooden goods shed, a lattice-girder footbridge and a typical Highland Rly. signal box.

J R Hume 1977.

Pitlochry Station, c. 1900. Rebuilt in H-plan, with canopy infilling space between wings on the platform side. Nicely detailed in typical Highland Rly style, with crowstepped gables, tall chimneys and decorative ridging.

N Haynes 2000.

This intermediate station on the Perth (Stanley Junction) - Inverness (main) line of the former Highland Rly was opened on 1 June 1863 by the Inverness and Perth Junction Rly. It remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 30 October 2000.

R V J Butt 1995.

Activities

Photographic Survey (9 May 2007)

Photographed by the Threatened Buildings Survey prior to alteration and as record upgrade.

RCAHMS (CAJS) 2012.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions