Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Boat Of Garten, Garten Bridge, Old Garten Bridge And New Garten Bridge

Road Bridge (20th Century), Road Bridge (19th Century)

Site Name Boat Of Garten, Garten Bridge, Old Garten Bridge And New Garten Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (20th Century), Road Bridge (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Boat Of Garten Bridges

Canmore ID 87506

Site Number NH91NW 20

NGR NH 9465 1908

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/87506

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Duthil And Rothiemurchus
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Badenoch And Strathspey
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH91NW 20 9465 1908

The Garten Bridge is a wooden trestle bridge, opened in 1899. It was replaced in 1974 by a concrete and steel structure constructed by Miller Construction & Co.

Information from RCAHMS (DE), October 1995.

Activities

External Reference (2011)

There have been 3 bridges at this site, which replaced the old ferry which gave Boat of Garten its name.

1. The timber bridge replaced the ferry in 1899. A plaque mounted on one of the supports (now in private possession) records: GARTEN BRIDGE. This bridge was erected by the Third, or Badenoch, District Committee of the Inverness-shire County Council. The last nail was driven home and the bridge declared open for public traffic by THE RIGHT HONOURABLE THE COUNTESS DOWAGER OF SEAFIELD IN AUGUST 1899. Chairman SIR GEORGE MACPHERSON GRANT, BART. Clerk & Treasurer JOHN GRANT, Grantown. CONTRACTOR CHARLES MACKAY INVERNESS. Engineer ALEX MACKENZIE C.E. Kingussie.

During WWII, when attempts were made by the Royal Engineers to strengthen the bridge, it was set on fire by a blow lamp, and a ferry had to be improvised whilst the bridge was repaired.

2. The new bridge was of the same construction as the wooden bridge which still stands at Broomhill, near Nethy Bridge.

3. The Metal Bridge which currently stands was opened in 1874.

Information from the ARCH Community Timeline Course, 2011

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions