Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Latheron, Old Parish Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Latheron, Old Parish Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Latheron Old Church And The Aisle; Clan Gunn Museum; Lat 253

Canmore ID 8657

Site Number ND23SW 4

NGR ND 20224 33310

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/8657

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Latheron
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND23SW 4.00 20224 33390

(ND 2022 3329) The Aisle (NR)

OS 6" map, Caithness, 2nd ed., (1907)

Church (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1959)

ND23SW 4.01 ND 20235 33320 Burial Ground

For Buldoo Bell Tower (ND 20228 33810), see ND23SW 5.

An 18th century parish church, and a fragment of its predecessor, apparently occupying the site of a 13th century church.

Latheron was one of the churches reserved to the bishop in a charter of 1223 x 45, and in 1515 the vicar of Latheron is on record but intermediate references appear to be lacking. A new church was built about 1734, part of its predecessor being retained in the rear to serve as a burial place of the Sinclairs of Dunbeath. Known as 'The Aisle', this fragment presents no features of architectural interest, although a 17th century monument with an effaced Latin inscription is built into the wall. No stones of interest are visible in the churchyard. A belfry was added to the church in 1822 in which the bell from the 17th century bell tower (ND23SW 5) was installed.

Orig Paroch Scot 1855; Name Book 1871; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910; G Hay 1957.

A burial aisle as described, about 4 m square, attached to the S side of Latheron Old Church.

Visited by OS (R L) 6 March 1968.

Built into the S wall of 'The Aisle' is a piece of worked sandstone resembling a window head.

(Latheron Church, Burial Aisle, and Graveyard are all listed - Category B.)

C E Batey 1982.

Architecture Notes

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: Alexander Ross

EXTERNAL REFERENCE

Scottish Record Office

New aisle and gallery in Latheron Church. Estimate of wright and mason

work (copy).

1815 GD 136/706/2

Proposed new aisle in the church at Latheron. An arch in the North wall

is to be examined and measured in order to decide if an aisle and gallery

may be added.

1815 GD 136/706/1

Repair of the Parish Church.

Letter from Sir William Dunbar of Hempriggs.

He complains that the Heritors have demanded 24 (Scots pounds] from him.

1765 GD 214/722/1/1

Latheron - Proposed new aisle and gallery in the Church at Latheron. An arch in the North wall is to be examined and measured in order to decide if the proposal is possible.

1815 GD 136/706/1

Plans: George Hay, 29 Moray Place Edinburgh.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Project (1980 - 1982)

External Reference (23 November 2011)

Scheduled as 'Latheron Old Church and the Aisle'.

Information from Historic Scotland, Amended Entry in the Schedule of Monuments, dated 23 November 2011.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions