Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Appnag Tulloch, Forse House

Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Site Name Appnag Tulloch, Forse House

Classification Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Canmore ID 8634

Site Number ND23NW 4

NGR ND 2121 3591

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/8634

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Latheron
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND23NW 4 2121 3591.

(ND 2121 3591) Appnag Tulloch (NAT)

Broch (NR) (remains of)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1976)

Appnag Tulloch: The grass-covered ruins of a broch lying on rock outcrop. Excavations in 1910 revealed the entrance passage on the W. The broch has been about 60ft in overall diameter, with walls 12 to 13ft thick. The mound is about 8ft high. At the edge of the rock on the E are the remains of a breastwork which has commanded the easy gradient of approach. On the W, in front of the entrance, disturbances indicate the existence of outbuildings. To the NW two or three large slabs set on end protrude from 1 to 2 1/2ft above ground, but the 'Standing Stones' published (at ND 2120 3590) on the OS map are no longer visible.

RCAHMS 1911.

Appnag Tulloch (name verified) is a broch with vague traces of outbuildings, as described by the RCAHMS.

Resurveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (N K B) 12 May 1967.

A single course of outer face shows N of the broch entrance, but otherwise the site is generally as described by the RCAHMS.

Visited by OS (J M) 22 March 1983.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

ND23 3 APPNAG TULLOCH ND/2121 3591

This probable broch in Latheron, Caithness, is a grass-grown mound standing on the summit of a rocky outcrop in a meadow about half a mile north of Forse. The ruins are now entirely overgrown but in 1910 a recent excavation had exposed a few features [2]. These included the entrance on the west side which is about 3.6-3.9m (12-13ft) long; a single course of the outer face shows north of it [1]. The overall diameter is about 18.0m (60ft) and the internal diameter is about 10.7m (35ft). There are signs of an outwork on the east, which is the easiest line of approach, and of traces of outbuildings on the west, in front of the entrance.

Sources: 1. NMRS site no. ND 23 NW 4: 2. RCAHMS 1911b, 59-60, no. 218.

E W MacKie 2007

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions