Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Wick To Lybster Light Railway, Lybster Station

House (20th Century), Railway Station (20th Century)

Site Name Wick To Lybster Light Railway, Lybster Station

Classification House (20th Century), Railway Station (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Lybster, Railway Station, Platform Building And Dwelling House

Canmore ID 8629

Site Number ND23NW 29

NGR ND 2484 3582

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/8629

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Latheron
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND23NW 29.00 2484 3582

ND23NW 29.01 2483 3577 Goods Shed

(Location cited as ND 248 358). Lybster Station, built 1903 for the Wick and Lybster Light Rly. The remains consist of a wooden goods shed (ND23NW 29.01), a single-storey wooden platform building, and a 1-storey and attic dwelling house, all in fair condition.

J R Hume 1977.

Lybster Station, 1903. Remains only of wooden goods shed and dwelling house, serving the Wick and Lybster Light Rly. The old track runs paralle with the A9.

E Beaton 1996.

This station was the terminus of the Wick - Lybster branch of the former Highland Rly. It was opened (by the Wick and Lybster Light Rly) on 1 July 1903, and closed to regular passenger traffic on 1 April 1944.

(Daniels and Dench cite the date of closure of the branch as 1 December 1951, noting 3 April 1944 as a date of partial or temporary closure).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 27 November 2000.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980; R V J Butt 1995.

The station building now serves as the clubhouse for the Lybster golf course.

Information from RCAHMS, 2011.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions