Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tarbrax

Rig And Furrow (Medieval), Village (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Tarbrax

Classification Rig And Furrow (Medieval), Village (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Tarbrax, Shale-oil Works

Canmore ID 85574

Site Number NT05NW 10.01

NGR NT 0270 5520

NGR Description Centred NT 0270 5520

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/85574

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Carnwath
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NT05NW 10.01 centred 0270 5520

(Location cited as NT 026 552). Tarbrax Village, built 1904 for the Tarbrax Oil Co. A group of rows of single-storey shaleworkers' cottages. The shale-bing, all that is left of the oil works here, is being removed for hard-core.

J R Hume 1976.

The village of Tarbrax is today around half the size of that depicted on the revised edition of the OS 6-inch map (Lanarkshire 191, sheet xv). It is situated immediately to the S of the shale-oil works (NT05NW 10.00). Apart from the occupied rows of houses on the E, there are the fragmentary remains of nine workers rows to the W of the maiden Burn (CSW 4707). Nothing now remains of the further rows to the S (CSW 4709) around the ?Lazy Y? public house.

Originally constructed to house the workers for for the Tarbrax Oil Company which closed in 1925, the houses continued in use for the workers of various mines in the area until they too closed down. The present population occupies the rows on the E, and the additional detached houses to the E of the road to Carnwath which have mostly been built since 1910.

(CSW 4707, 4709, 4713)

Visited by RCAHMS (DCC) 15, 20 July 1994

The present village is visible on vertical air photograph (OS 70/367/013, flown 1970), along with the remains of the large shale bing and associated shale works.

Information from RCAHMS (DE) January 1997

Oblique aerial photography has identified an area of rig and furrow cultivation in the field immediately to the E of the houses on Viewfield Road, centred on NT 0290 5521.

Information from RCAHMS (KB) 17 Septemer 1998

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions