Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Inverfarigaig Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Inverfarigaig Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Inverfarigaig, Old Bridge; River Farigaig; Loch Ness

Canmore ID 85519

Site Number NH52SW 9

NGR NH 52175 23849

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/85519

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Boleskine And Abertarff
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH52SW 9 52175 23849

For successor and present bridge, see NH52SW 35.

Inverfarigaig Bridge (NAT)

OS 1:10,000 map

Inverfarigaig Bridge was built in 1732 (see NH52SW 11). It is a single span 2.8m wide.

Visited by OS June 1964; February 1979

J B Salmond 1938

Inverfarigaig Bridge is a single span stone bridge, which was built in 1732. It has now been fenced off as it is in a very unstable condition. Only the arch ring and the bridge abutment remain where the SW side of the bridge has collapsed. There are loose and cracked sections of stone in other parts and vegetation is to be seen growing between the stones.

M Logie (Highland Council) 1997; NMRS, MS/1007/3.

This bridge carries the former line of the B852 public road (Military road NMRS MR 1 or NH52SW 11.00) over the River Farigaig a short distance above its debouchement into Loch Ness and to the SE of its successor and present bridge (NH52SW 35). The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Boleskine and Abertarff (to the SW) and Dores (to the NE).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 18 December 2000.

Activities

Build (1732)

Built on route of General George Wade’s Great Glen road. Inverfarigaig Bridge carried the road connecting the military garrisons at Inverness and Fort Augustus.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

Publication Account (2007)

Inverfarigaig Bridge on Wade’s later Great Glen road was built in 1732, which cost £150. It has a span of 37 ft, a width of 11 1/2 ft, with the roadway crossing about 24 ft above the often turbulent river. The bridge is disused and deteriorating since being bypassed by the present

concrete bridge in the 1960s.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

Laser Scanning (28 February 2011 - 1 March 2011)

NH 52175 23849 An emergency laser scan survey was undertaken 28 February–1 March 2011 on Inverfarigaig Bridge, following the collapse of a large section of the Wade bridge in the winter of 2011. The bridge was scanned and CAD elevations and a plan produced.

Archive: RCAHMS (intended)

Funder: Forestry Commission Scotland

AOC Archaeology Group, 2011

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions