Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Auchterhead

Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Auchterhead

Classification Farmstead (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Haircraigs; Dura Manse; Rosemount

Canmore ID 85044

Site Number NS85NE 4

NGR NS 8683 5519

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/85044

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council North Lanarkshire
  • Parish Cambusnethan
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Motherwell
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS85NE 4.00 8683 5519

NS85NE 4.01 NS 8673 5534 Buildings

The farmstead of Haircraigs is now represented by the ruined remains of two parallel rectangular buildings situated about 140m NE of Auchterhead farmsteading (NS85NE 30). Both are constructed of mortared random rubble with ashlar-faced openings.

Although its NE gable has been robbed out, the NW building has measured at least 29.8m from NE to SW by 5.2m over walls up to 0.7m thick and 1.5m high. The remains of a fireplace are visible at the SW end and a built-up aumbry in the adjacent SE wall. There have been at least four doors in the SE wall, one of them forming an opposed pair with a further door in the NW wall.

The SE building measures 11.7m NE to SW by 6m, the walls 0.7m thick and up to 3.5m high in the W corner. The building has been entered by a door in the NW wall, a second door in the NE gable giving access to an outshot, of which only the SE wall remains, incorporating a stone drain in its outer face.

According to the farmer at Brow, this farmstead served as the manse of Dura Kirk (NS85NE 17). Both buildings are indicated as roofed on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Lanarkshire, 1864, sheet xix) where they are named 'Haircraigs', although the manse would certainly have ceased to function as such after the congregation was moved to Bonkle in 1821. By 1898, however, (2nd edition, sheet xix.NW) the building was roofless, though the SW end of the other building is depicted as roofed and noted as 'Haircraigs'.

(CSW 3338)

Visited by RCAHMS (JRS, IF) 13 January 1995.

MS/731/11

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions