Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Thurso, Manson's Lane, Meadow Well

Well (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Thurso, Manson's Lane, Meadow Well

Classification Well (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Manson's Lane, The Meadow Well House; Town Well

Canmore ID 8501

Site Number ND16NW 77

NGR ND 11711 68351

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/8501

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Thurso
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND16NW 77 11711 68351

Well [NAT]

OS (GIS) AIB, April 2006.

Meadow Well, Manson's Lane, 1823. Small circular well house with conical stone roof. Though erected in 1818, it was not finished until five years later, when the debt incurred in its construction was paid off.

E Beaton 1996.

This building is depicted, but not noted, on the 1967 edition of the OS 1:2500 map.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 5 April 2006.

Activities

Build (1818 - 1823)

Present building completed 1823. Cistern older (1818).

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007

Photographic Record (October 1961)

Photographic survey of buildings in Thurso, Caithness by the Scottish National Buildings Record in October 1961.

Publication Account (2007)

Meadow Well, Thurso

(Institute Civil Engineers Historic Engineering Works no. HEW 1504)

This well is a good example of small town water supply in Scotland and was the main water supply to Thurso for centuries. In 1818 its cistern was enlarged and the present building was completed in 1823 according to the date ona finial. The hand-operated pump, which is visible within, was installed about 1850. The use of the well for drinking water declined after the town obtained an improved supply of potable water from Loch Calder in ca.1876. It continued in use until the 1920s for filling water carts used to dampen down street dust.

An unusual feature of water supply to dwellings and farms in Caithness was the use of tanks with sides made of local flagstones jointed with lead.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions