Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, 13 St Vincent Street, St Vincent's Episcopal Church

Church (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, 13 St Vincent Street, St Vincent's Episcopal Church

Classification Church (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) St Stephen Street; Episcopalian Collegiate Church Of St Vincent; Chapel Of The Order Of St Lazarus

Canmore ID 84002

Site Number NT27SW 209

NGR NT 24942 74574

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/84002

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SW 209 24942 74574

Built 1857 in curvilinear English Gothic Style.

J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker 1984

ARCHITECT: W.H., J.W. & J. Hay

St Vincent's Chapel

From the 'Building Chronicle' Vol: 2 page 114, Oct: 1 1856.

In the present number we give as one of the illustrations a Chapel which has just been erected in St Vincent Street for the Episcopal Congregation under the Ministry of the Reverend R Hibbs MA.

As will be observed, it is of the 'decorated' period, and consists of a nave and aisle with chancel and Vestry.

It stands on a triangular site, and the architect has, with much advantage, made use of all the ground at his command.

The interior is divided with dressed stone pillars with nave and aisle, the roof is very simple of open timber, stained and varnished.

The windows are filled with tracery and nave stone dressing and drop arches.

The Chapel is seated, on the ground floor, for 450, the gallery, not being required at present, is not to be erected.

Messrs Hay of Liverpool are the architects and Currie and Taylor are the joiners and the mason work is to be executed by Mr Bonnar, Clarence Street, who has also the contract for 'Free Buccleuch' Church.

The design and execution of the Church reflect great credit on all parties concerned.

Inf. from Revd. Malcolm A Clarke.

NMRS REFERENCE:

Library:

Scrap Book, p 53 & 93 - 2 engravings

Also known as the Church of the Military and Hospitaller Order of St Lazarus of Jerusalem Grand Commandery of Lochore.

(Information from RCAHMS DJNP 9 march 2006)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions