Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Brydekirk, Bridge Street, Brydekirk Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Brydekirk, Bridge Street, Brydekirk Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) River Annan; Brydekirk Village, Bridge Street

Canmore ID 83869

Site Number NY17SE 48

NGR NY 18641 70536

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Hoddom
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Annandale And Eskdale
  • Former County Dumfries-shire

Archaeology Notes

NY17SE 48 18641 70536

Location formerly entered as NY 18659 70549.

(Location cited as NY 187 706). Built 1817. A singularly graceful, 3-span bridge with dressed-stone arch rings and coursed-rubble spandrels. There is a large central span flanked by smaller arches, all segmental, with triangular cutwaters.

J R Hume 1976.

(Name cited as Bridge Street, bridge). Built by Thomas Boyd and William Stewart, 1798-1800.

J Gifford 1996.

This bridge carries Bridge Street (the unclassified public road from Brydekirk to Eaglesfield) across the River Annan on the East side of Brydekirk village (NY17SE 70). The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Annan (to the W) and Hoddom (to the E).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 11 December 1996.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions