Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Kirkcaldy, Victoria Road, Electricity Substation

Electricity Sub Station (20th Century)

Site Name Kirkcaldy, Victoria Road, Electricity Substation

Classification Electricity Sub Station (20th Century)

Canmore ID 83550

Site Number NT29SE 84

NGR NT 28249 92420

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/83550

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Kirkcaldy And Dysart
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Kirkcaldy
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT29SE 84 28249 92420

(Location cited as NT 282 924). Electricity generating station, opened 1903 by Kirkcaldy Corporation Tramways. Tall single-storey ashlar building with a 2-storey office.

J R Hume 1976.

Site Management (26 July 2000)

2-storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan, classically detailed former electricity generating station. Rusticated ashlar with polished dressings and channelled quoin strips; squared and snecked rubble to E, and brick to W and N. Base and eaves courses. Round and elliptical-arched windows. Keystones, voussoirs, stone mullions. Grey slate and asbestos. Cavetto-coped ashlar stacks with polygonal cans and ashlar-coped skews. INTERIOR: W gallery lined with enamel glazed polychrome bricks to S and E, latter also with 8-arch blind arcade. Mobile crane in situ.

As early as 1896, Professor Kennedy (of Messrs Kennedy and Jenkins) proposed a joint venture between power and tramways for Kirkcaldy. In 1898 he was appointed consultant engineer by the newly formed Tramways and Electric Light Committee. The main contractors were J & P McLauchlan of Larbert, but building was hindered by the difficulty in obtaining sufficient stone from Grange Quarry at Burntisland as well as the necessity for digging engine beds to a depth of 10ft. Three boilers and five engines (2 at 80hp and 3 at 250hp) were supplied by Browett, Lindley & Co Ltd. Victoria Road Power Station first generated electricity on 15th December, 1902, and was formally opened on 28th February, 1903 when the power was officially switched on by Provost Tait at 3pm. Guests from this ceremony were then driven in carriages to Gallatown to inspect the new tramway depot, and returned to town on a tram. The first service tram was run on Monday 2nd March. In 1909 the gallery was extended and a store added, a cooling tower was built in 1912 and a new engine room in 1922. (Historic Environment Scotland List Entry)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions