Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Polharrow Bridge

Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Polharrow Bridge

Classification Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Bridge Over Polharrow Burn; Polharrow Burn, Old Bridge

Canmore ID 83003

Site Number NX68SW 33

NGR NX 60321 84357

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/83003

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Kells
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX68SW 33 60321 84357

(NX 6031 8435) Polharrow bridge was built in the early 18th century by gift of Quintin Maclurg, tailor. It has two main arches with a central buttress and a small arch on the W side.

SDD list nd.

This bridge has been widened, and the modern Dalry - Carsphairn road passes over it.

J Barour 1896.

There is now no trace of the early 18th century bridge. The present three arch bridge bears a plaque inscribed with the date 1841.

Visited by OS (TRG), 10 Feburary 1978.

According to Historic Scotland List Description Polharrow Bridge has now been bypassed and is no longer is used. Information from RCAHMS (LKFJ), April 2002.

This bridge carries the former line of the A713 public road over the Polharrow Burn about 3.6km NNW of St John's Town of Dalry and about 60m above (to the W of) debouchemnt of the burn into the Water of Ken.

The successor and present bridge is situated immediately to the E.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 15 July 2006.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions