Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Allt A' Cheracher

Shieling Hut(S) (Post Medieval)

Site Name Allt A' Cheracher

Classification Shieling Hut(S) (Post Medieval)

Canmore ID 8285

Site Number ND14SW 7

NGR ND 1385 4095

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/8285

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Collections

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Latheron
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND14SW 7 1385 4095.

ND 1385 4095. A group of three shielings are located on the N bank of the Allt a' Cheracher. Each is in a poor state of preservation and are of the usual construction, ie. a low mound (0.3m high) on which lie the remains of stone-built rectangular structures. Between the two easternmost ones is a grassy area which probably indicates the site of another. The two extreme ones measure some 5 by 3m, while the middle one is about 9 by 3m. All lie NW-SE.

Some 450m NE of this group is an isolated shieling on the S bank of the burn. It is about 5.0m square with ruined walls 0.2m high. It is covered with reeds. Nine metres SW of it is a slight, turf-built hut circle 4m in diameter with an entrance, 0.5m wide, in the N. The turf bank is 0.2m high.

Visited by OS (W D J) 17 April 1961.

The alleged hut circle is a circular shieling bothy. Otherwise, no change to the previous field report.

Revised at 1:10560

Visited by OS (J M) 19 October 1982.

Four unroofed shieling-huts are depicted on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Caithness 1876, sheet xxvii) and on the current edition of the OS 1:10,560 map (1962).

Information from RCAHMS (SAH) 18 December 1995

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions