Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Tulach Beag

Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Site Name Tulach Beag

Classification Broch (Iron Age)(Possible)

Canmore ID 8235

Site Number ND14NW 1

NGR ND 1459 4980

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2023.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Halkirk
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND14NW 1 1459 4980.

(ND 1459 4980) Tulach Beag (NAT) Broch (NR)

OS 6" map, (1963)

Broch, Tulach Beag: At Tormsdale, about 1 3/4 miles up the Thurso River from Westerdale and some 40 yds back from its right bank, are the remains of a broch. The stones have been to a great extent removed from the ruin and the outer face of the wall is at no place visible. The diameter over all seems to have been about 58ft. Towards the NW, a portion of the interior of a chamber is exposed. The greatest elevation is some 5ft.

RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910.

A large mound of earth and stone, maximum height 1.6m and measuring overall 19m N-S by 20m transversely. A portion of a collapsed chamber can be seen in the top of the mound at the NW. A slight dip in the bank on the S side may indicate a possible entrance. No traces of the inner or outer faces of the broch wall are visible.

Visited by OS (W D J) 12 April 1961.

No change to the previous field report.

Visited by OS (J B) 22 February 1982.

OS plan, photo


Publication Account (2007)

ND14 3 TULACH BEAG ('Tormsdale 1')

ND/1459 4980

The scanty ruins, no more than 1.5m (5ft) high, of a possible broch in Halkirk, Caithness, are on flat moorland at Tormisdale, and about 40m from the right bank of the river Thurso. Most of the stones have been removed from the site and few structural features are visible. The remains of a mural cell are visible on the north-west and a slight dip on the south side may indicate the position of the entrance.

Sources: 1. NMRS site no. ND 14 NW 1: 2. RCAHMS 1911b, 33-4, no. 107: 3. Swanson (ms) 1985, 676.

E W MacKie 2007


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions